October 1, 2003
pick up from the oil pump on the gearbox, had to be changed
because of a clearance problem.
pump pickups have been welded onto the service plate, which
bolts to the top of the fuel cell. Rear shocks have arrived
from Bilstein and are now installed.
for the 14" rubber, so we had to make custom rear fenders.
You saw me making the other side from the existing fender.
I used the foam method for the right fender because we were
able to move the car into the body shop where I could make
a ton of foam dust. This could not be done in the fabricating
shop. In these two pictures, I used 1/2" plywood as a
perfect spacer for the edge of the wheel arch, then I put
several blocks of foam to form the radius. I held these in
place with body filler glued to the plywood.
I used a sure form to shape the fender and detail sanded with
36 grit paper.
is the release, the black dots are where the edge will be,
and I am smearing cabosil
to fill in the voids in the foam.
the cabosil is smeared, I apply one 3/4ounce mat, one 1-1/2
and one 10 ounce "S"-weave cloth.
black pigment in the resin because the chips on the inside
and tire rubber will be harder to see.
edge against the body, I add one extra layer of mat.
the fun part. "Hell, it's all fun!"
it's cured, I block sand the high spots with 36 grit and apply
a thin layer of body filler.
I have to widen the bumper because all RATT's have fat asses.
this, I seam it in each radius to extend the 2 inches that
the rear bumper is strong, I put the 1/2" edge around
the fender radius to match the bumper radius. These parts
will go into primer tomorrow, the fenders will be glued to
the body shell and we'll try to paint this weekend. In the
morning shift, I will be building the 3.4 liter engine, which
we will install the end of next week. Martin is fabricating
fuel pump brackets, brake reservoir brackets, and all the
final assembly goodies.
Previous Update | Next Update >>